Saturday, April 30, 2011

TED Talk 5

Arvind Gupta: turning trash into toys for learning TED talk

The engineer Arvind Gupta obviously likes to make toys. He has toys for specific purposes. This video showed me how simple yet difficult the field of toy making is. It amazed me how Arvind managed to make some toys out of matchsticks and rubber tubing. His simple toys allow poor children to be able to make and break toys. They are like cheap legos or sticks-n-balls, the magnetic sticks with metal balls. These toys are made out of things you normally throw away. Straws, CDs, broken bike tubes, even matchsticks, all of these are parts to the toys. It amazes me how simple the toys are, yet I find myself yearning to play with these toys. These toys are preparing children for a fast approaching future. I don’t know how many times I have made triangles out of straws, but this guy has found a way to make them and more with just a matchstick. I would recommend this video for people to watch. It is very interesting.  The only downside is Arvind has an Indian accent, which is sometimes hard to make heads or tails of what he is saying, but otherwise this is a good TED talk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment